Tuesday, February 9, 2010

Conversation Hearts


When I first started working on these, I wasn't super happy with how they were turning out.  I'm a beginner when it comes to sewing and still have trouble with certain things.  But after I painted the hearts, I was really liking them.

First, I cut out heart shapes out of some muslin I had left over from another project.  I then sewed the hearts, leaving a two-inch opening on the side so I can stuff them.  Then I hand sewed the opening.

DSCN2395

After I finished sewing everything, I used some bright colored paints and painted the muslin.  I only did one coat, but I think two coats would have been a lot better.

DSCN2396

For some final touches and to give them that conversation candy heart look, I used a white paint marker to write the words on each of the hearts.  And has anyone noticed some of the new sayings on those hearts??  "Sweet Pea", "Love Bug", and "Text Me" are some of the new sayings for 2010.  These traditional Valentine's Day candies date back to 1902!

DSCN2403

DSCN2408

No comments: